How to Start a Chapter
Dear Prospective Chapter Organizer:
Thank you for requesting information on "How to Start a Chapter" with the National Black Nurses Association, Inc. (NBNA).
Attached is a basic chapter application kit, which includes the following:
- Membership procedures for applying for Chapter status
- Application for Chapter Status
- A sample copy of the Membership Roster Excel Spread sheet (call to receive spread sheet by email)
- Chapter Membership Roster Instructions
- Chapter Profile Form
- Model Bylaws
- Chapter Annual Dues and Liability Insurance Payment Invoice
- Membership Application (call to recieve 2018 Membership Application by email)
- Chapter Check List
- To start a chapter in your area you must have 15 members or more. Sixty percent of the membership body should be licensed nurses.
- Membership dues for the following categories:
- $225.00 for each RN
- $175.00 for each LPN/LVN and Associate Members
- $50.00 for each (unlicensed)student member
- $112.50 for each retired nurse
- $150.00 for each first-year grads (graduated in 2017)
- $2,000.00 - Lifetime Member plus local dues for the first initial year. After the initial payment local dues are due each year to be in good standing with your chapter.
- The Chapter President must certify by signing the application that all local (if any) and National dues have been collected. Upon receipt of all required information, your application is referred to the Bylaws Committee for their review and after their approval, forwarded to NBNA's Board of Directors for their action. Chapters will receive notification by June 1st if the bylaws are approved or additional information is required.
- After the receipt of your completed packet. Each member will receive an ID Card and membership package from National. The card will indicate Direct Member/chapter name until the chapter is chartered at the next Annual Institute and Conference.
- The Chapter Dues of $250.00; and $115.00 for Liability Chapter Insurance is due each year. An invoice will be mailed to each year to the Chapter President around November.
- After the completion of the Annual Conference and Institute you will receive a Chapter Website/Membership form by email from National. The information provided to National will be posted on NBNA's website once the chapter has been charted and assigned your official Chapter name and number.
- Chartered Chapters are awarded annually at the NBNA Annual Conference and Institute. Therefore, if you wish to be chartered at the next NBNA Conference, the completed application must be received by March 15, 2019.
If you have further questions, please contact the NBNA office by telephone 301-589-3200; or email Estella Lazenby at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to welcoming you into our family.
Dr. Eric J. Williams, DNP, RN, CNE, FAAN
National Black Nurses Association, Inc.