How to Start a Chapter
Dear Prospective Chapter Organizer:
Thank you for requesting information on "How to Start a Chapter" with the National Black Nurses Association, Inc. (NBNA).
Attached is a basic chapter application kit, which includes the following:
- Membership procedures for applying for Chapter status
- Application for Chapter Status
- Membership Roster Excel Spread sheet (will receive by email once National receives the Chapter Profile)
- Chapter Membership Roster Instructions (please review)
- Chapter Profile Form
- Model Bylaws
- Chapter Annual Dues and Liability Insurance Payment Invoice
- Membership Application (will receive with the Excel Membership Roster once the following information is received: Chapter President, Name of chapter, mailing address, chapter email address and phone number).
- Chapter Check List
- To start a chapter in your area you must have 15 members or more. Seven (7) of the initial members must be RNs and the Executive Board is made-up of all licensed nurses.
- Membership dues for the following categories for the first year:
- $160.00 for each RN
- $125.00 for each LPN/LVN
- $35.00 for each (unlicensed) student member (student must supply the chapter with a letter from the school on school letterhead and signed by the Administrator, indicating the student is unlicensed)
- $100.00 for each retired nurse
- $150.00 for each first-year grads (graduated in 2020)
- $2,000.00 - Lifetime Member plus local dues for the first initial year. After the initial payment, payment of local dues is required each year to your chapter to be a member in good standing.
- Chartered Chapters are inducted annually at the NBNA Annual Institute and Conference. Therefore, if you wish to be chartered at the next NBNA Conference, the completed applications and all documents must be received by March 15, 2022. You will receive the chapter’s charter at the 50th Annual Institute and Conference in Chicago, IL.
- Once National receives your completed packet, each member will receive an ID Card and membership package from National welcoming the members to NBNA.
- The Chapter President must certify by signing the application that all local (if any) and National dues have been collected. Upon receipt of all required information, your Chapter Bylaws will be forwarded to the NBNA’s Bylaws Committee for their review. Your Chapter will receive notification by June1st if the bylaws are approved or if additional information is required. After the final approval of the bylaws, the Bylaws Chair will forward recommendations to NBNA's Board of Directors for their approval.
- After the chapter receives a final approval by email from the Bylaws Chair, please apply for your EIN# with the IRS. Go to IRS.gov and type in EIN.
- During the month of August/September, the chapter will receive a form to update National with information for the website.
- During the month of September/October, the Chapter President will receive from National, the Chapter President’s Handbook by email. Please print and share with your Executive Committee. The Executive Committee should consist of all licensed nurses.
If you have further questions, please contact Estella Lazenby, NBNA Membership Services Manager by telephone 240-460-6893; or email Estella Lazenby at email@example.com. We look forward to welcoming you into our family.
MARTHA A. DAWSON, DNP, MSN, RN, FACHE | Associate Professor
President/CEO, National Black Nurses Association
RWJ Nurse Administrative Fellow, Alumna
J&J Wharton Nurse Administrative Fellow, Alumna
Scholar UAB Sparkman Global Health Center