Click here to view printable version of Membership Benefits and Lifetime Benefits
NBNA Membership Campaign Elevator Speech
The National Black Nurses Association, Incorporated (NBNA) is a professional non-profit nursing organization established in 1971. We are comprised of 111 chapters in 32 states with over 4,200 members, serving as the professional voice for over 308,000 African American nurses and diverse populations. One of our objectives is to ensure that everyone has equal access to opportunities for professional development, educational promotion, and health improvement. On matters pertaining to people of color in healthcare, NBNA is regarded as a respected international voice. Our membership campaign for 2023,"Recruiting, Retaining, and Engaging Members," aims to strengthen and improve the organization by bringing in new members, while putting emphasis on retention and engagement of current members.
NBNA Membership Committee
There are many exceptional benefits of membership in NBNA. They include:
- Online NBNA News, the association's quarterly newsletter
- Subscription to the Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, a bi-annual published professional refereed journal
- On-line Career Center
- NBNA website: www.nbna.org
- Direct electronic mailing on nursing and health care issues
- Online Conference Registration
- Position Papers on important issues impacting the health care of African American consumers
- Association partnerships with federal and national organizations
- Continuing education contact hours for licensure
- A unified voice for the profession of nursing in Washington to address public policy issues
- Networking with African American nurses from around the country, the Caribbean, Canada and West Africa
- The NBNA Scholarship and Awards Program -- NBNA offers scholarships to all levels of nursing students to continue and complete their nursing education
- Leadership opportunities through committees and task forces
- Speaking engagements at national and local conferences, Congressional Black Caucus Health Brain Trust, National Medical Association Health Policy Colloquium, National Minority Quality Forum.
- Webinars - CE and Non-CEU
- External Advisory Committee Appointments
- Participation in NBNA's National Initiatives on Violence Prevention, Global Health, Mentorship and Brain Health.
NBNA Lifetime Membership is $2,000.00 – payable in four installments over a one-year period.
- Complimentary conference registration in the year that the final payment is made
- Early Bird registration for future conferences
- New Lifetime Membership Certificate, Portfolio and a premium gift
- Listed on the NBNA Lifetime Members Plaque
- Listed in the NBNA Conference Souvenir Program Book annually
- Listed on the NBNA website
- Special recognition at the Closing Session of the NBNA Annual Conference honouring our Lifetime Members
- Special seating for all Lifetime Members at the Closing Session of the NBNA Annual Conference
NATIONAL CONFERENCE AND ACTIVITIES
The National Black Nurses Association hosts an Annual Institute and Conference in the summer of each year. NBNA's annual institute and conference features the most prominent speakers in nursing and health care. More than 100 exhibitors join us to offer their products, services and employment opportunities. An attendance of over 1,200 NBNA members, student nurses, other health professionals and guests participate in the week's events.
The four-day conference includes a one-day annual institute, offering 4-6 hours intensive, concurrent educational programs in health promotion for African American males, child and adolescent health, breast cancer, women's health, research, cardiovascular and obesity.
Other educational programs include presentations made by national health experts in a variety of health areas including: cancer; HIV/AIDS; menopause and osteoporosis; nutrition; diabetes; health policy and health and healing; and roundtable discussions; a three day exhibition featuring vendors from schools of nursing, pharmaceutical, telecommunications, publications and equipment industries, hospitals and health systems, managed care organizations and insurance companies; and a host of networking and corporate sponsorship events.
Attendees will earn continuing education units for their participation in the week's educational component. The schedule provides time for networking and attending social events around the city. NBNA Scholarships and awards are presented throughout the conference. The annual NBNA Community Health Fair and the President's Gala are highlights of the conference. Special NBNA member rates apply to all NBNA sponsored conferences. Advertising opportunities are also available in our Conference Souvenir Program Book