How to Start a Chapter
Dear Prospective Chapter Organizer:
Thank you for requesting information on "How to Start a Chapter" with the National Black Nurses Association, Inc. (NBNA).
Attached is a basic chapter application kit, which includes the following:
- Membership Procedures for Applying for Chapter Status
- Application for Chapter Status
- Membership Roster Excel Spread sheet (will receive by email after National receives the Chapter Profile)
- Chapter Membership Roster Instructions (will receive with Excel spread sheet)
- Chapter Profile Form
- Model Bylaws
- Chapter Annual Dues and Liability Insurance Payment Invoice
- Membership Application (will receive with the Excel spread sheet and instructions) National will need the following information to create the membership application: Full name of chapter, mailing address, email and phone number).
- Chapter Check List
- To start a chapter in your area you must have 15 members or more. Seven (7) of the initial members must be RNs and the Executive Board is made-up of all licensed nurses.
- Membership dues for the following categories for the first year:
- $160.00 for each RN
- $125.00 for each LPN/LVN
- $35.00 for each (unlicensed) student member (student must supply the chapter with a letter from the school on school letterhead and signed by the Administrator, indicating the student is unlicensed)
- $100.00 for each retired nurse
- $150.00 for each first-year grads (graduated in 2019)
- $2,000.00 - Lifetime Member plus local dues for the first initial year. After the initial payment, payment of local dues is required each year to your chapter to be a member in good standing.
- Chartered Chapters are inducted annually at the NBNA Annual Conference and Institute. Therefore, if you wish to be chartered at the next NBNA Conference, the completed application and all documents must be received by March 15, 2020. You will receive the chapter’s charter at the 48th Annual Conference and Institute in Hollywood, Florida, July 28 – August 2, 2020.
- Once National receives your completed packet, each member will receive an ID Card and membership package from National welcoming the members to NBNA.
- The Chapter President must certify by signing the application that all local (if any) and National dues have been collected. Upon receipt of all required information, your Chapter Bylaws will be forward to the NBNA’s Bylaws Committee for their review. Your Chapter will receive notification between by June1st if the bylaws are approved or if additional information is required. After the final approval of the bylaws, the Bylaws Chair will forward recommendations to NBNA's Board of Directors for their approval.
- After the chapter receives a final approval by email from the Bylaws Chair, please apply for your EIN# with the IRS. Go to IRS.gov and type in EIN.
- During the month of August/September the chapter will receive a form to update National with information for the website.
- During the month of September/October, the Chapter President will receive from National, the Chapter President’s Handbook by email. Please print and share with your Executive Committee. The Executive Committee should consist of all licensed nurses.
Martha A. Dawson, MSN, BSN, CNS, FACHE