2018 NBNA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED
NBNA is committed to excellence in education and conducts continuing education programs for nurses and allied health professionals throughout the year. The association provides annual scholarships for students.
Scholarships provide funding for continuing education. This funding enables nurses to grow and better contribute their talents to the health and healthcare of our communities. Please review the Scholarship Application form carefully, remember, to submit ALL required documents with your application.
Scholarships and Certifications
The National Black Nurses Association, Inc. offers various scholarships each year including:
- Dr. Lauranne Sams Scholarship
- NBNA Board of Directors Scholarship
- Lynne Edwards Research Scholarship
- Dr. Hilda Richards Scholarship
- Margaret Pemberton Scholarship
- Rita E. Miller Scholarship
- VITAS Healthcare/Esther Colliflower Scholarship
- Children’s Mercy Kansas City Scholarship
- George McGuire Memorial Scholarship
- Iona Princess Pierre Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. C. Alicia Georges Scholarship
- Dr. Martha A. Dawson Genesis Scholarship
- Dr. Doris Ashworth Wilson Memorial Scholarship
- Maria Dudley Advanced Practice Nurse Scholarship
- Yale-New Haven Hospital Scholarship
- NurseTim Scholarship
for more details on each scholarship.
These scholarships will range from $1,000-$6,000
NBNA's scholarships are presented each year to the Awardees at our Annual Institutes and Conference.
- Must be a member of NBNA and a member of a local chapter (if one exists in your area). If a chapter does not exist within a 50-radius of your location you can join NBNA as a Direct Member.
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in a nursing program (B.S.N., A.D., Diploma or L.P.N./ L.V.N. Masters , and Doctoral) and in good scholastic standing at the time of application.
- Applicant must have at least one full year of school remaining.
- Official Transcript(s) from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Two (2) page Written Essay
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one from applicant's school of nursing and one from the local chapter, or a nurse in the area if a local chapter does not exist). Letters of recommendation and essay must be attached to the application.
- A clean/clear professional headshot.
- Additional items to accompany the application in support of the candidate's eligibility and desirability may include documented evidence of:
- a. participation in student nurse activities and
- b. involvement in the African American Community, i.e., letters, news clippings, awards, certificates, etc.
Before downloading the Scholarship Application please click here
to download & install the FREE Adobe Reader if computer devise does not have a PDF reader.
1. Documents related to completing the scholarship application
2. 2018 Scholarship Application
3. 2018 Membership Application
(before completing the application, please review the Chapter Directory
located under the Membership tab to locate your State and a chapter in your area).
4. 2018 NBNA Membership Honor Pledge
5. Scholarship Essay Requirements
Send completed application and all supporting documentations by
Mrs. Crystal Barney-Harold, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address ONLY for OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT:
NATIONAL BLACK NURSES ASSOCIATION
Scholarship Committee/Crystal Barney-Harold
8630 Fenton Street, Suite 910
Silver Spring, MD 20910
NOTE: SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY MAIL